lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: The New Continental has weakened sales.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Pasadena Lady is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Continental
    Remove this ad
    Don't you think thst Lincoln was trying to re-capture the allure of the Continental in an updated version?
    I have never seen any concept car go into production looking exactly like it's prototype. There are always costs and design work that carries through to production.
    I am still waiting for vehicles to have a look that immediately tells you what they are. The older Conti cars had a look! But in this day and age there are not as recognizable designs. Some mistakes are made like you can pick out a Cadillac CTS or ATS or even some of the SUVs by the front design or rear lights design. The only problem that I see is the distinction between the models is blurred. (Is it a CTS or ATS or a CTS-V or ATS-V, but you know it is a Cadillac)
    Maybe Lincoln is going that route?

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    I talked to my dealer today about lower sales in March and he confirmed that the air bag module recall was responsible and would also affect sales in April. I ordered my car on 16 March and it is going into production the week of 1 June with anticipated delivery about 18 to 24 June. So my car is anticipated to take 14 weeks to delivery (for a rushed order accepted by Lincoln even) when the advertised time frame is 6 to 8 weeks to delivery.

Hard to believe thst your car ordered in March won't even be built until June. This airbag problem seems to be getting worse and not better!
    You must have the patience to wait it out! Hope your wait time will be worth it all when your car finally arrives.
    I haven't got the second letter saying the parts arrrived to fix the airbag problem. My brother wonders if it is safe to drive? I mentioned about all of the used cars out there with airbag problems thst aren't being recalled.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    Hard to believe thst your car ordered in March won't even be built until June. This airbag problem seems to be getting worse and not better!
    You must have the patience to wait it out! Hope your wait time will be worth it all when your car finally arrives.
    I haven't got the second letter saying the parts arrrived to fix the airbag problem. My brother wonders if it is safe to drive? I mentioned about all of the used cars out there with airbag problems thst aren't being recalled.
    My dealer received today the module for a stock Continental that could not be driven since before I ordered my car, 16 March. A MKX from the same time frame is still back ordered. New driveable Continentals are in very short supply. My dealer bought one from another dealer and paid a $1,700 premium to get it so he could have a demonstrator for his clients. This recall is way more extensive than the Ford recall notices indicate.

It is apparently a Takata air bag module for the driver frontal air bag that may separate from the air bag itself or involve other problems. Why would Ford source from Takata when they cannot correct air bag problems from 2008 and later that caused deaths. The current Continental recall initially affected Continentals built from Jan 13, 2016 to Jan 18, 2017, but my dealer says it was expanded to Continentals (and others) built up to 1 March 2017, and affected the production line too in March.

What a mess.

Maybe my brother was right. How safe is my car? I don't know what can really happen with the Takata airbag before , during or after an accident. Apparently Ford/Lincoln must be ok with letting owners drive until a fix is available. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Pasadena Lady View Post
    Maybe my brother was right. How safe is my car? I don't know what can really happen with the Takata airbag before , during or after an accident. Apparently Ford/Lincoln must be ok with letting owners drive until a fix is available. Really?
    The cars that are affected by the recall as dealer stock cannot be driven on the road, they are stuck at the dealership. That is why very few Continentals are on the road. Looking at the VIN of cars made in Nov and Dec 2016 and subject to the recall there is a 17,000 difference in the production sequence number (VIN digits 12 thru 17) and my car scheduled for 1 June production. So with only 3,200 or so reported as sold so far there must be a lot of Continentals parked somewhere waiting for the driver air bag module.

I agree that Lincoln was trying to do that to some degree, I feel they would have been real successful if they would have included the suicide doors. Talk about having the look! I also agree that most concept cars look exactly like the production vehicles, Lincoln is especially bad in that regards. I can name the Lincoln Contempra back in the early 1990's beautiful car, but the production version was bad, the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr Concept I thought was also nice looking, the production version looked nothing like it, the Lincoln Aviator Concept looked pretty close to what was to become the Lincoln MKX, I thought the MKT Concept was nice as well and well look how that turned out, and most recently the Lincoln MKC Concept was beautiful, but again the Concept was wider and a bit longer than the production version, and of course the Continental. They should design the Concept on the actual platforms they plan to produce them as that extra width and length make a huge difference. I am not a Lincoln hater if I sound like one but I get frustrated on how the designers WOW us with these concepts and then they don't deliver. That is a big disappoint to me and I believe to alot of potential customers Lincoln loses by changing the production versions.

The car sales for April have slowed among the Detroit 3 as well as for several others such as Toyota and Nissan. In addition to the airbag problem facing Lincoln this lack of car sales isn't helping improve the picture. If you go into a showroom shoppers are looking at the SUVs more so than sedans. Maybe the Chinese market is enjoying cars and haven't got into the SUV world but the American market is not looking at cars. I've already heard friends talking about the Lincoln Navigator. Another SUV?

To put the 2017 Lincoln Continental excellent sales into context with some large "luxury" car competitors sales starting Sept 2016 through April 2017 the criteria is a large and relatively expensive car; so Mercedes E class, BMW 5 Series do not count since they are not large cars. The Mercedes S class, BMW 7 Series and Audi A8 and S8 are classed as large cars. The automotive pundits with their reviews seem to confirm the Continental's place with the following cars:

#1 Mercedes S class sales from Sept 2016 are 6,829 and for 2017 are 5,139 for a total of 11,968;

#2 2017 Lincoln Continental sales for 2016 are 5,261 and for 2017 are 4,212 for a total of 9,473;

#3 2017 Cadillac CT6 (sales started in March 2016 not counted thru Aug) sales for 2016 are 5,121 and for 2017 are 3,382 for a total of 8,503;

#4 BMW 7 Series sales from Sept 2016 are 4,880 and for 2017 are 3,097 for a total of 7,977;

#5 2017 Volvo S90 (sales started in June 2016 not counted thru Aug) sales for 2016 are 2,295 and for 2017 are 1,525 for a total of 3,820;

#6 Audi A8/S8 sales from 2016 are 1,533 and for 2017 are 1,084 for a total of 2,617;

#7 2017 Hyundai Genesis G90 for 2016 are 782 and for 2017 are 1,519 for a total of 2,301.

So the 2017 Lincoln Continental is selling very well, #2 behind the S class according to this site http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...ntinental-new/ where I got the info from.

Remove this ad
    The sales for May are:

#1 Mercedes S class sales for May 2017 are 1,275;

#2 2017 Lincoln Continental sales for May 2017 are 1,061;

#3 2017 Cadillac CT6 sales for May 2017 are 1,001;

#4 BMW 7 Series sales for May 2017 are 524;

#5 2017 Volvo S90 sales for May 2017 are 473;

#6 Audi A8/S8 sales for May 2017 are 216;

#7 2017 Genesis G90 sales for May 2017 are 397

So the Lincoln Continental continues to climb in sales compared to its competitors, excepting Mercedes S class. Seems Continental sales are doing well in the large luxury category.