lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS

Lincoln Forum: 1990 continental eec relay

1990 continental eec relay

Remove this ad
    Hi I have 1990 continental that will crank but won't start, I am also new to lincolns. I'm just curious where the eec relay is located.

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    I am not familiar with the 1990 Continental. The relays are usually located in the power distribution box under the hood. Find the battery positive post and see a power wire smaller than the main battery cable, follow that to the power distribution box. The Electronic Engine Control (EEC) relay should be there. It is probably supplied by a fuse nearby. The relay may not be bad and the problem may be poor contacts where the relay plugs in.

I assume you are looking at that because you do not have fuel or spark?

Good luck.

I do have spark, I do not have fuel. I am also not getting power at the fuel pump. I'm not familiar with Lincolns at all so I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here. I will follow that smaller wire and see where I end up. Thanks!

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by jakemj55 View Post
    I do have spark, I do not have fuel. I am also not getting power at the fuel pump. I'm not familiar with Lincolns at all so I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here. I will follow that smaller wire and see where I end up. Thanks!
    Does not sound like the EEC since you have spark. If the fuel pump is not working then you will not get fuel. When you switch the ign on can you hear the pump run for several seconds and then switch off? If it does not run at all then you likely have a failed pump but it could also be the wiring etc.

Good luck

The fuel pump does not kick on. I have checked for power at the pump with the key on and have nothing.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by jakemj55 View Post
    The fuel pump does not kick on. I have checked for power at the pump with the key on and have nothing.
    There would be a relay to control power to the pump and likely a fuse. You could have a bad fuse, bad relay or corroded contacts. The relay is a switch that is usually controlled by the EEC or similar based upon fuel rail pressure. So you have a few things to check there. I don't have anything in the way of a procedure diagnostic for your car, I will see what I can find. A 1990 Town Car would likely have a comparable fuel system.

Good luck.