lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: the cigarette lighter charger question

Lightbulb the cigarette lighter charger question

Remove this ad
    Hi everyone, I want to put the blackvue camera recorder on the 2014 MKT front window. I noticed that in MKT there are four cigarette lighter, one under the dashboard, two in the first row and second row console, and one on the trunk wall. My question is which one will be no power when I turn off the car. I don't want to drain the battery and there is no simple answer on the owner manual book. This camera has to use 12v to work so I can't simply switch to USB port inside the console. Thanks.

peterk9 is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Explorer Platinum AWD Ecoboost
    This has also been discussed various times in the Explorer forum. The battery saver program, if the same, should shut down most electrical items after 10 minutes with the exception of the parking lights.
    I suggest that after shutting down the MKT that you wait 15 minutes and try the plugs to see if they are powered or not. If some or all are still powered, try 30 minutes or an hour and see if anything changes.
    The Manual seems to suggest that they remain powered. BTW, they are referred to as Power Points. Cigarette lighters are no longer installed and in some cases are an option since I believe they use a different outlet power wise.

Peter
    Used to have a 2014 MKT

Will test that way soon. I knew the simplest way is the fuse box, but I don't want to touch the fuse box. Another simple way is an 5v to 12v USB to power point cable, which I found in ebay for around $10 including shipping. I think since the camera recorder is a small electric instrument, I believe the USB adapter's powers will be enough to handle it if with the right voltage.

peterk9 is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Explorer Platinum AWD Ecoboost
    There are some members in the Explorer forum that have tapped into the rearview mirror for radar detectors and another that tapped into wiring running inside the driver's side 'A' pillar. Not sure if the MKT is configured the same way or not. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...posts/3569664/

Peter
    Used to have a 2014 MKT

They remain powered.
    2012 Lincoln MKT 3.5 Ecoboost AWD..... Fully Loaded minus active park assist and tow package.
    Crystal Champagne

86 Buick Grand National
    01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Can someone please clarify what all stays powered on:

12 v power near the front console below shifter
    12 v power in front center console
    12 v power in rear console
    12 v power behind 3rd row seats
    2 USB ports in front center console
    USB port in rear console
    110 v power in rear console

I have a wifi hotspot and want to plug it in somewhere so it stays charged. It came with USB cable and 110 volt adapter.

Thanks

See my post#2. Leave your car parked for a while and check each outlet later to see if it is powered or not. Seems to be the easiest way.

Peter
    Used to have a 2014 MKT

Remove this ad
    Update, just got the 5v-12v switcher in Amazon but the SYNC2 system indicates the the USB port power is not enough to charge the device which I connected. The camera recorder I used is blackvue 550gw. I only tested two USB ports in the center console and I will test the USB port in rear console tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by nickool View Post
    Will test that way soon. I knew the simplest way is the fuse box, but I don't want to touch the fuse box. Another simple way is an 5v to 12v USB to power point cable, which I found in ebay for around $10 including shipping. I think since the camera recorder is a small electric instrument, I believe the USB adapter's powers will be enough to handle it if with the right voltage.