lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS

Lincoln Forum: Parking Assist Accident
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parking Assist Accident

Remove this ad
    2012 MKT
    While using the parking assist, the Lincoln hit the rear bumper corner of the car next the Lincoln at the start of the parking maneuver.* For the past four years I have used the parking assist almost every time I park.
    No messages show in the message center indicating a system failure.* All was normal (indicated park place found, pull forward, stop) during the start of the parking.
    Ford dealer said they have no procedure or protocol to verify the failure/functionality of the parking assist system.* Ford/Lincoln only help was to tell me to take it up with my insurance company.* How can the insurance company explain the failure or verify why the system failed if the dealer can’t?
    Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear. It's an "assist" to the driver. That's why we have insurance. You will have to file a claim.

I guess I'll be more careful using this feature. Hasn't given me any problems so far.

Used mine for the first time in 6 years several months ago. Was impressed, but would never intentionally buy it. (Came included on mine)
    I agree, you'll have to file an insurance claim. You can try suing Lincoln in small claims court, but I seriously doubt it would go anywhere.
    '11 MKT 3.5 EcoBoost AWD; '14 Jeep Cherokee Ltd. V6 AWD
    '00 Regal 29' Commodore twin 4.3L

I'm not looking to Lincoln for any financial reason. Just would like them to explain what happen to cause the event.

Ford just announced a completely park system (controls steering, acceleration, brake) so I would think they would be interested in older system failures but not so.

Found two other events like this and looking for more. Told my insurance about Fords reaction and they are looking to see if it has happen before.

Can anyone verify the technology of the side sensor? Ultrasonic or RF?

peterk9 is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2017 Explorer Platinum AWD Ecoboost
    According to this little video clip it uses ultrasound sensors.

Peter
    Used to have a 2014 MKT

All I can think of is that your car was too close to the car adjacent to yours. I usually keep a distance of 4-6 feet when my car is looking for parking.

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    It's an "ASSIST" which means you are required to be within the proper window/distance for it to work "as designed". If you don't monitor it, you can and did hit something. We know how to park and don't use it.

Seldom Seen is offline Member My Lincoln(s): 2013 MKT EcoBoost, all but DVD players
    I've only used this four times or so, two just playing. One time downtown, it found a place right in front and I said NO WAY. Let it go, in without a hitch. I could never have gotten it in there. Then, of course, I noticed the fine print: it was reserved for valet. Had to park in a garage two blocks away.

Dealer checked the park assist by parking the Lincoln about 10 times between their cars.

Got a couple of my friends (acoustics engineer and PHD in physics from the aerospace industry) and we mocked up
    something to represent the conditions of the accident. We proved the system did not detect the plastic bumper wrap
    around on the vehicle it hit. The wrap around bumper on that vehicle does not have any metal inside it. It protrudes out just
    enough for the Lincoln park assist to scrap it as it swings into the space behind that front parked vehicle. Lincoln
    engineering could have told me this and I would have been OK.

Using the system again with no issues. Just real careful with what vehicle I start beside.

Owned Ford products since 1959. Wife is looking at new car and I told her to look other than Ford. As a company Ford
    is not doing well and I understand why. If it was not for the dealer being so good I would trade the Lincoln now as I
    have no faith in Ford and hate doing business with poorly run companies.

yegay is offline Member My Lincoln(s): 2013 MKT awd ecoboost
    Remove this ad
    for the past 4 years I have used the parallel parking assist now and then and did not encounter any problems. Only the time when my back up camera failed, the parking assist could'nt perform well. But when i had the back up camera replaced ( under warranty) its was back in working again.