lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Upgrade 2009 Stereo with THX to a factory stereo with THX and GPS

Upgrade 2009 Stereo with THX to a factory stereo with THX and GPS

Remove this ad
    Has anyone attempted this? I know with the Navigator, it's a lot of work.

In case anyone was wondering, I bought a navigation radio on ebay (model 8H6T-18K931-CA) and it works perfectly. It came with the navigation dvd but I got a newer one. I didn't have to goto the dealer to get it programmed. If you attempt the upgrade you will need to replace the dash bezel since the cutout is much larger. Mine didn't come with an antenna so I bought one off ebay. I bought new steering wheel controls but haven't installed them yet. Not sure if I will need them. Feel free to pm me if you would like some information.

pmarv is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2010 MKZ 3.5l
    I would be interested if you have any pictures of the wiring with the radio pulled out. I'm curious how different it is from my 2010 MKZ with base audio system wiring. I've been looking at aftermarket systems and they differentiate between the base audio and THX. Ideally I would like to buy a used wiring harness at a junkyard to simulate a THX-ready system but only if it is not too extensive (or impossible).

Quote Originally Posted by pmarv View Post
    I would be interested if you have any pictures of the wiring with the radio pulled out. I'm curious how different it is from my 2010 MKZ with base audio system wiring. I've been looking at aftermarket systems and they differentiate between the base audio and THX. Ideally I would like to buy a used wiring harness at a junkyard to simulate a THX-ready system but only if it is not too extensive (or impossible).
    I'll upload some pictures this weekend for you. I did try to install the other steering wheel switches but they didn't work, so I installed the old ones back in. The stereo works great but I lost sync. I can't get her to talk to me. The steering wheel buttons new or old didn't make a difference, yet I think I bought the sync version.

So... You originally had the THX system without Nav right? If that's the case, your upgrade is theoretically possible without too much difficulty. The issue you're running into is one of missing cables. Ford/Lincoln does not use a universal wiring harness - each version has a different harness to match the options on a particular vehicle. In your case, you're missing (I think) up to 3 connections:

1) Shielded 2 conductor cable from the APIM (SYNC module) to the ACM ("radio") that carries the voice signal from the SYNC microphone to the Nav radio.
    2) Shielded 2 conductor cable from the ACM ("radio") to the DSP module (THX amplifier) that carries the Nav voice prompts to the amplifier.
    3) 2 conductor cable from the steering wheel controls to the ACM ("radio"). The Voice, Phone, and OK buttons on your original controls connect directly to the APIM (SYNC module). You need to connect them to the ACM, then install the proper steering wheel control that only has the Voice and Phone buttons (aka the new one that you got). I'm not sure if the wires are supposed to be disconnected from the APIM or not.

The reason for this problem is this: on the non-Nav audio system, the APIM is in charge of the voice commands. When you hit the voice button, you're immediately in the SYNC interface. The APIM sees you hit the button and sends a signal to the ACM over the CAN bus telling it "hey give me control of the audio system" and you get the SYNC prompt. When you're done the APIM releases the ACM to do whatever it was doing before you were using SYNC.
    On the Nav system however, the ACM is in charge of the voice commands. When you hit the Voice button the ACM receives the signal and asks you what you want to do. If you want to do any Nav or radio functions, the ACM handles all of it with no involvement of the APIM. If you want to do any phone or USB media functions, the ACM calls the APIM and the audio switches over. This is also the reason for the small delay in invoking phone and USB media commands on the Nav system, and the somewhat different sounding voice prompts.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by hworksinc View Post
    So... You originally had the THX system without Nav right? If that's the case, your upgrade is theoretically possible without too much difficulty. The issue you're running into is one of missing cables. Ford/Lincoln does not use a universal wiring harness - each version has a different harness to match the options on a particular vehicle. In your case, you're missing (I think) up to 3 connections:

1) Shielded 2 conductor cable from the APIM (SYNC module) to the ACM ("radio") that carries the voice signal from the SYNC microphone to the Nav radio.
    2) Shielded 2 conductor cable from the ACM ("radio") to the DSP module (THX amplifier) that carries the Nav voice prompts to the amplifier.
    3) 2 conductor cable from the steering wheel controls to the ACM ("radio"). The Voice, Phone, and OK buttons on your original controls connect directly to the APIM (SYNC module). You need to connect them to the ACM, then install the proper steering wheel control that only has the Voice and Phone buttons (aka the new one that you got). I'm not sure if the wires are supposed to be disconnected from the APIM or not.

The reason for this problem is this: on the non-Nav audio system, the APIM is in charge of the voice commands. When you hit the voice button, you're immediately in the SYNC interface. The APIM sees you hit the button and sends a signal to the ACM over the CAN bus telling it "hey give me control of the audio system" and you get the SYNC prompt. When you're done the APIM releases the ACM to do whatever it was doing before you were using SYNC.
    On the Nav system however, the ACM is in charge of the voice commands. When you hit the Voice button the ACM receives the signal and asks you what you want to do. If you want to do any Nav or radio functions, the ACM handles all of it with no involvement of the APIM. If you want to do any phone or USB media functions, the ACM calls the APIM and the audio switches over. This is also the reason for the small delay in invoking phone and USB media commands on the Nav system, and the somewhat different sounding voice prompts.
    Wow that's awesome! I'm on vacation but when I get home, I'm going to definitely work on this and post my findings. But wouldn't my car have these cables installed from the factory since it had sync?