lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS

Lincoln Forum: 2006 Lincoln Zephyr Reviewed
    Remove this ad
    First I want to start by saying that after I have read so many negative bashing reviews of the Zephyr and so many neutral reviews of the Zephyr it seems to me that this has got to be one of the most controversial changes to any companies car lineup for years. I read about the Zephyr being nothing more than a half baked underdone Lincoln to an overpriced Fusion/Milan.

Let me set a few of these misconceptions straight since I test drove all three as well as other competing models like the Acura TL and Lexus ES330. The Fusion while a good riding vehicle DOES NOT ride anywhere close to how the Zephyr rides. The Mercury rides a little nicer than the Fusion but still not as nice as the Zephyr. There IS a NOTICABLE difference. Neither the Milan nor the Fusion are as quiet at highway speeds. The front wheel drive is not a problem since the car was not designed to run on the race track. The car has plenty of power to merge with traffic and to pass but does get a little loud when doing so.

Now for those out there saying hey the Zephyr is only an expensive Fusion or is not a unique stand alone model and favor the imports in place of it. I hate to break your heart but Acura TL and Lexus ES330 are based on lower line platforms (in other words the only difference is sheetmetal) so before you go pulling a thorn from Lincoln's eye get the one out of yours first.

Now to the details.

PROS: Unique styling, not a cookie cutter, smooth ride, great brakes, quiet interior, tons of standard features, gas mileage, 6 speed transmission, air conditioned seats, great sound system even in base system, THX system is phenomenal, HID headlamps.

CONS: Could use a touch more power (resolved in the MKZ), power tilt wheel would be nice, manual gear selection to access gears directly, electric close trunk, gas struts on the hood, no satellite radio, Add iPod interface.

Summary: All in all the Lincoln Zephyr competed great with competitors. The ride is more luxurious than competitors which lean a touch more toward sporty suspension. Price point is very nice and makes the car affordable to more buyers. If your looking for a entry level luxury ride with a sporty appeal but more of a laidback nature then the Zephyr would be a must see before making your final decision.

Colsing: I did in fact wind up selecting the Zephyr over the Acura TL, Lexus ES330, Fusion, Milan, Accord EX, Toyota Camry and Avalon. My main decisions were price point, features, ride quality, styling uniqueness and the fact that this car offered the ride and features i wanted without requiring premium fuel. This is my first Lincoln and I hope that Lincoln continues to take a more agressive approach with their styling.

Nice review. I don't know why the issue of platform sharing has cropped up recently. Lincolns have been based on full sized Mercs/Thunderbirds (even Mustang!) for decades. And it isn't like the Fusion isn't a high quality automobile to begin with.

Nice review. And it's better to review with pics.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Led Zephyrlin @ Jun 14 2006, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>First I want to start by saying that after I have read so many negative bashing reviews of the Zephyr and so many neutral reviews of the Zephyr it seems to me that this has got to be one of the most controversial changes to any companies car lineup for years. I read about the Zephyr being nothing more than a half baked underdone Lincoln to an overpriced Fusion/Milan.

Let me set a few of these misconceptions straight since I test drove all three as well as other competing models like the Acura TL and Lexus ES330. The Fusion while a good riding vehicle DOES NOT ride anywhere close to how the Zephyr rides. The Mercury rides a little nicer than the Fusion but still not as nice as the Zephyr. There IS a NOTICABLE difference. Neither the Milan nor the Fusion are as quiet at highway speeds. The front wheel drive is not a problem since the car was not designed to run on the race track. The car has plenty of power to merge with traffic and to pass but does get a little loud when doing so.

Now for those out there saying hey the Zephyr is only an expensive Fusion or is not a unique stand alone model and favor the imports in place of it. I hate to break your heart but Acura TL and Lexus ES330 are based on lower line platforms (in other words the only difference is sheetmetal) so before you go pulling a thorn from Lincoln's eye get the one out of yours first.

Now to the details.

PROS: Unique styling, not a cookie cutter, smooth ride, great brakes, quiet interior, tons of standard features, gas mileage, 6 speed transmission, air conditioned seats, great sound system even in base system, THX system is phenomenal, HID headlamps.

CONS: Could use a touch more power (resolved in the MKZ), power tilt wheel would be nice, manual gear selection to access gears directly, electric close trunk, gas struts on the hood, no satellite radio, Add iPod interface.

Summary: All in all the Lincoln Zephyr competed great with competitors. The ride is more luxurious than competitors which lean a touch more toward sporty suspension. Price point is very nice and makes the car affordable to more buyers. If your looking for a entry level luxury ride with a sporty appeal but more of a laidback nature then the Zephyr would be a must see before making your final decision.

Colsing: I did in fact wind up selecting the Zephyr over the Acura TL, Lexus ES330, Fusion, Milan, Accord EX, Toyota Camry and Avalon. My main decisions were price point, features, ride quality, styling uniqueness and the fact that this car offered the ride and features i wanted without requiring premium fuel. This is my first Lincoln and I hope that Lincoln continues to take a more agressive approach with their styling.</div>

Just bought a 2006 Zephyr with 17,000 miles on it last month (November 2007). So far, your review lines up perfectly with my impressions, including the reasons I selected it over its competitors and over the cheaper Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan, with which it shares the same chasis. If it's high performance you're looking for, this won't be the car for you. But it's by far the most comfortable car I've ever driven, and it's quietness on long drives is unmatched. I think it at least matches the Acura TL, Lexus ES, and 2003-2007 Cadillac CTS in most categories and, when bought used like I did, gives you far more bang for the buck. Agree that the 3.0 engine on the Zephyr could use more umph, and an MP3 connection would've been nice. Otherwise, this is a great cruising vehicle. And by the way, it's ride is far superior to the Fusion and Milan, so don't let anyone tell you this is just a reskinned version of those vehicles with only cosmetic differences.

As far as the Fusion comparison Ford did about as much as they could to differentiate the two cars IMHO. My wifes 06 has every option except Nav system and she loves it. And to tell the truth we bought it in December of 06 last one on the lot got a good deal. List price 33k, year end discount 3k plus A plan our cost before trade in was 26.600. We traded our 99 Town car and got 7k for that so we paid about what a loaded Milan would be. So couple that with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty and we are happy.

Hey thanks for all the nice reviews .Wish i could get one as well.

DDS in St.Paul

Remove this ad
    This car is really good but very expensive. Of course, we expect nothing less from Lincoln.

from your car advisor