lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: Increased noise at startup and vibration at idle 07 MKZ

Increased noise at startup and vibration at idle 07 MKZ

Remove this ad
    Hello Lincolns owners. I bought my first Lincoln about two months ago and have really enjoyed it until last week. It is a 07 MKZ AWD. I am having an issue I cannot track down. The issue I have is that the Lincoln recently has been louder when I crank it and while running. It is just slightly louder and is very hard to notice from outside the car. Included with the louder noise is a rougher idle. Occasionally when I drive the MKZ for over 10 miles or so the noise goes away and the idle becomes smooth. Once it becomes smooth I can turn it off and crank it again it is quiet and smooth. The noise pitch changes as I drive and does not seem related to RPM’s. It almost sound like a humming noise (bearing maybe) and it does not matter if I am in park or drive. The noise started a day or so after I installed a new torque strut. Could that have caused this issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

UPDATE:
    I am still having the issue but have narrowed down (I think) what the cause is but have not been able to completely eliminate the issue. I originally installed an aftermarket torque strut mount and thought that might be the cause of the issue. I removed it and installed the busted old one. The noise instantly got much better but still not like it was before I messed with it. I sent the aftermarket one back which was about 5mm longer than the OEM one and ordered a new one from Ford. After installing the new one the noise did not change over the old OEM one.

What I have figured out:
    I hear a slight humming noise that seems to come from the front left side. It is worse going up a hill and turning sharply left from a stop. If I am driving down the road go over a deep in the road the noise comes and goes.

What Helps:
    If I loosen up the torque strut mount and push the bottom of the motor as far back as possible and hold it in that position while I tighten up the torque strut mount the noise and vibration get drastically reduced when the car is in drive (still not like it was before the replacement) but is worse when in reverse. It acts like the position of the motor is what is causing the issue.

PLEASE HELP:
    I am mechanically savvy and do almost all my own work on my cars but this has me very confused. I have checked both upper mounts and they seem to be okay. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I found the issue and wanted to post what it was incase anyone else has a similar issue. The Transmission Isolator / Mount rubber broke down and was allowing metal to metal contact. It could not be seen by just inspecting while installed. I removed it and you could see where metal to metal contact was happing.

Remove this ad
    So I'm having the exact same problem with a aftermarket torque strut and my car does not sound good at all
    So what was the problem exactly?
    I'm about to go buy a oe one tomorrow

Thanks