lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: My Wife's New MKZ Hybrid
    mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs

My Wife's New MKZ Hybrid

Remove this ad
    This will be a rather long review of my Wife’s 2014 MKZ Hybrid. I am a RWD person and hate FWD. But there are times when your opinion changes. I feel Lincoln did a home run in offering the MKZ Hybrid at the same price as a standard gasoline powered engine model. AND it drives unlike other FWD vehicles that I've driven over the years.

Interior lighting leaves a lot to be desired. On our former 95/08 MGM & 96/07 TC, it was so easy to change the source of lighting. You just remove the bulbs and plug in white LEDs and you're done. The MKZ uses Fiber Optic Cable from one light source that you can select different colors. BUT you can't adjust the level of light. Just too dark for us in our location. The front map lights are good as I might use them for a switchable power source for foot well LEDs. The trunk light--who decided on it's placement? It's on the right side and will be blocked by anything! BUT since it's wired LED, you can add other LED panels in other locations. I did that and now the trunk is bright and you can see what's in there.

Our MKZH has the large panoramic roof--kind of like a convertible. It has a full length shade that opens via a button.

The rear seats do fold down unlike the Panther's body cars. There is also a little pass through door in the middle of the rear seats.

The rear seats can be used by an Adult! We test drove a Cadillac CTS car of the year. The CTS rear seat might be just ok for small children as entry and exit is extremely hard for an adult---me.

The front seats are great. Power adjustments with 3 memory settings.
    Ours has a power tilt and telescopic steering wheel! The CTS has this MANUAL lever you must pull out and lock after setting it for yourself. The MKZ pedals are not adjustable since everything else is. That resolves the breaking gears in the Panther cars.

The sound level in the MKZH is acceptable but I feel the TC & MGM are quieter. Since weight is an issue with Hybrid cars, there's less sound proofing I feel. On the other hand, the CTS is full of road noise! The Salesperson said if you want a quieter car, check out the Buick!

I like the rear view camera for backing up. In a year or two, all cars must have this device. The MKZ is slightly smaller than my wife's 08 MGM. She wanted something smaller and I was surprised that she decided on the MKZ.

The HVAC system appears to handle our current weather conditions. Let's see how it handles 120F degree Summer heat. The touch screen is hard to see in the sun unlike the unit in my Navigator.

The trunk does hold our full size cooler that other cars couldn't. That's important to keep food fresh during that heat. That rear seat little doorway into the trunk should assist in keeping the trunk a little cooler.

Drive Train: We obtained 25+ MPG in our Panther based cars. Therefore the transition into a Hybrid was easy. Gone is the V-8 as the I-4 engine + electric motor with variable speed automatic transmission are the MKZ Hybrid source of motion. I do not like the lack of keys and wondering how to stop a runaway Hybrid? The only way I see to stop the engine is press the engine button which also places the transmission into PARK and stops all motors/engine–pressing N is another choice--turning a key off is preferred but not possible. The transition from gas to electric power is very smooth. This is not a sports car, but it can get out of its own way. Recently we drove on very hilly roads and the car did fine, The main difference going downhill is, you must keep you foot on the gas pedal or you’re reducing speed. I like to gain speed going downhill to use that momentum uphill. Lesson learned. Currently the car has a little over 1,100 miles. Our MPG: 40 to 45

TIRES: The early/first Hybrids had almost donut spare tire size regular tires. They really drove poorly and were blown around by high winds. The standard size MKZH tire size is 245/45R18 –bigger than our MGM or TC. The MKZH really is a good handling car. Due to weight issues, there’s no spare tire. Instead, you get an air compressor with a sealant can attached. My experience advises against using it as the TPMS sensor must be replaced when the flat is repaired. I just installed a spare tire & jack assembly from a wrecked 2013 Ford Fusion. That would get the car to a repair shop for a proper flat repair.

BRAKES: The braking system regenerates electric power to the battery system. It would interesting to replace brake pads. Our MKZ has the cruise control system which automatically slows the car down if you’re getting too close to the car ahead. It applies the brakes but I didn’t like it. I look ahead and slow down before needing to brake. The car also has a lane keeping system–if you drift over the painted lines, the car will return to the lane providing if the lane has painted lines on both sides. If it has to correct again, the steering wheel vibrates along with a note to keep your hands on the steering wheel. As for blind spots in outside mirrors, an orange light gives warning of anything in the blind spots. We have yet to try the auto parking system–we know the process without that system.

Windshield Replacement–the windshield on our MKZH has a circuit board bonded to it, along with a camera for the anti-collision system. Our replacement track record is about 2 to 3 during 3.5 ownership years. Our insurance covers all glass replacements.

All exterior lighting is LEDs as they require less power to operate. Interior lighting is via a Fiber Optic Cable, except the overhead LED maps lights. Too dim for us and very hard to add LEDs as there’s a lack of interior lighting switchable power sources. I'm considering using the overhead console map light LEDs as a switched power source for foot well LEDs---did that in my Navigator. The trunk's LED light is in a poor position as it can be blocked by anything. I added an additional LED strip light using the factory LED switched power source.

My Wife’s MKZH has the following equipment:
    Equipment Group 202A—Reserve Equipment Group @ $3,195 which includes rear view camera, reverse sensing system, single CD/Sat + other USB inputs, Nav system with voice control for all radio functions, blind spot sensors & cross traffic alert–great when backing out of a parking spot for those A.H. driving fast as you attempt to pull out! + heated and cooled 10 way power front seats, power tilt/telescoping steering column, power open/close rear deck lid, Platinum Dune Tri-Coat Paint @ $695, Technology Package @ $2,250 includes active park assist, Adaptive cruise control, lane keeping system, rain sensing wipers, forward sensing system, auto high beams, 110 Volt power point, Panoramic Roof @ $2,995, Daytime running lights, Non installed front license plate bracket--not needed as of this date. For $399, the Dealer installed window tinting, door edge guards, nitrogen filled tires–5 PSI over-- and wheel locks--worth the cost as it was done at a fair price BUT too little torque on the dealer installed locking lug nuts was not correct! The interior is Hazelnut leather. I am sure that I left some equipment off as the list is never ending. It was purchased from stock and had most of the toys. MSRP was $46,220.00–got a few grand off but limited supply with the equipment we wanted. Additionally I added a compact spare tire from a wrecked 2013 Ford Fusion + window shades/deflectors are on order via the Dealership–needed in our AZ area.

I was hoping my wife would want a convertible but a panoramic roof was acceptable. It’s claimed that the roof has a UV coating to reduce interior heat. We’ll see when our weather hits 120F degrees. Overall, the MKZ is well equipped and would be A-OK without some of the costly options we wanted to try. A fully equipment used MKZH might make a great purchase if purchased before they are out of the full 4 year warranty, 6 years drive train warranty with 10 years on the battery package.

I am or was a RWD person and loved the TC & MGM. For the next year of so, I will not be able to do heavy maintenance work until both knees are replaced. We checked ALL of the current RWD vehicles available as each one got less MPG than our Panther based vehicles. We test drove the CTS–not good MPG, Toyota, Honda & MKZ Hybrids. My wife liked the MKZH the best, so I put her 08 MGM up for sale. We test drove at the same Lincoln Dealership where I purchased my Navigator. After several MKZH test drives in a week or so, the salesman asked when would we be ready to purchase. We found one in stock that we liked and got a price. I said when the MGM is sold, we would purchase. The Dealership looked at the MGM and matched the $9K price I wanted for it. They said the paint was like new as was the interior with 80,000 rust/salt free miles on it. They knew the MGM would be a fast resale (with a profit that buyers would pay a Dealer but not in a private sale). Due to this and added ‘deals’, my wife purchased her new car. The MKZH is great for my wife while the Navigator is all mine!

mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs
    I resolved the interior light level that I didn't like. Please see: http://lincolnforums.com/forums/thre...erior-Lighting

Since the MPG kept dropping from delivery/purchase, I reset the MPG indicator on 6/11/2014. I'm in the mid-30 MPG, around 35 to 36 MPG, then 6/13/2014 arrived with Lincoln's notice. Now I am wondering if the MPG indicator is preloaded when the car was built to show 45 MPG?

Remove this ad
    I have spoken to Lincoln and they called back with their additional offer on the reduced EPA MPG. They will NOT accept the return of the car---already guessed that. In addition to the $1,050 payment, they offered a longer free basic maintenance including brakes, windshield wipers, oil changes, tire rotation and air filters. Since my dealership installed locking lug nuts that were not tightened as per the specifications, they will not touch this car. If I get wrapped rotors, they'll blame me! The dealership charges $70 for full synthetic oil, so NO to that--I'll change my own oil! They also offer a one payment refund if the car was financed for 5 years--car is paid for. Just not worth it as I have two other actions going. This will be my last FoMoCo car purchased by my family. I purchased my first new car in 1969--a 1970 Lincoln MARK III, then ten more new FoMoCo vehicles. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me!