lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS

Lincoln Forum: 1996 Town Car Signature w/Touring Package
    mark95man is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2014 Navigator & MKZ Hybrid, 07 TC Designer, 96 TC, 79 MARK V Cartier, 75+ 69-71 Lincoln MARK IIIs

1996 Town Car Signature w/Touring Package

Remove this ad
    I purchased my 1996 Town Car Signature with Touring Option new in 1996. It was champagne (light metallic brown) with saddle interior. This was my everyday car driving from Kinnelon, NJ into NYC. I wanted the Touring Option as the car rode and handled better than a TC without that equipment. Our children learned how to drive using this car. They most likely warped the rotors which I replaced. But maybe the rotors were due for replacement anyway. They had to assist me working on that project so they learned how to fix car things!

I purchased four mounted Blizzack snow/ice tires for winter use–on the same style of wheels my car came with. It had better traction than 4X4 trucks/SUVs with factory tires.. The moonroof was great but the switch kept failing. I found just the switch button was available and purchased several of these—I did need them. Engine oil was changed every 5,000 miles. Transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Anti-freeze flushed every three years. Brake fluid flushed every two years--all DIY projects.

I installed an auxiliary transmission filter as it’s my practice for any vehicle I own. For engine oil, I used Mobil 1 10/30 with no oil burning up to the day I sold it. When I replaced the rear shocks, I purchased a long box end wrench from Sears. These shocks are a PIA to R&R. In 2002 the plastic intake manifold failed. FoMoCo paid for the replacement. The small parking brake shoes failed in late 2002. The shop manual said to remove the rear axles–NO–I was able to install new shoes with the axles in place. In 2004, the left rear brake line failed. I replaced all four as the NJ/NY road salt rotted them out. This car was relocated to AZ when we moved in 2005. In late 2006 I was thinking of front end work. I found all the front end bolts were welded in place due to rust caused by road salt. Things were still tight with no issues with the odometer reading over 125,000 miles. Also in 2006, the rear air springs leaked, the A/C Condenser was hit by a rock and I replaced it, then the A/C blend door motor failed which I replaced. Since I knew I would sell this car within a year or so, I was mindful of the “bottom line” when selling. Therefore I installed steel coil springs which worked out very good..

This was a great Town Car! It never broke down but all cars experience a failure or two. I did the maintenance/repairs because I had the tools and ability. I sold this car in mid 2008 with 138,000 miles on the odometer, no oil usage, no body or frame rot but front end bolts were rotted.